Friday 8 May 2009

Tri-Shroom Soup

Today's lunch is no homemade fare but still earns a satisfying accolade. Some days I just sleep in more than usual instead of jumping up to prepare breakfast, relishing in the warmth of curling under my patchwork blankie. Do you do the same? :)

After the little indulgence, I shook off the fuzziness and made myself an omelette for work. On the way to office, I made a little detour to pack an economy noodle takeaway for lunch. I also brought a little juicy pear for an after meal nibble. Twas a pleasant surprise when mrs manager brought back a chocolate sundae for each person during lunch. It really hit the spot as the day was sweltering. A heavy meal usually makes me sleepy. So here I am, washing down all my food with a cuppa black java and immersed in a sea of jazzy tunes. bliss~

Lucky is me when I'm with Buu. Or lucky is me for staying near Tesco.

Why? Me boughtz:


  • Baby portobello - RM 0.89
  • Mix of button, swiss brown and portabello - RM 1.10
  • Button mushrooms - RM 0.60
*都快笑掉大牙了*


With these, a mushroom soup was definitely in the making as I'd been hankering for a taste of cream soup for quite some time. What more with mushrooms, an all time pleaser for me. This is a backdated post as I bought the shrooms 3 days ago and made the soup 2 days back. My apologies though as no measurements are provided as I did it in the agak-agak way again.

Tri-shroom Soup




Ingredients


  • Button mushrooms (sliced)
  • Baby portobello mushrooms (sliced)
  • Swiss brown mushrooms (sliced)
  • Butter or oil
  • Plain flour
  • Chicken broth
  • Low fat milk
  • Dash of pepper
  • Pinch of organo
  • Grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano)
Instructions

  1. Heat up butter or oil in a pan. If using non-stick pan, the fats used can be minimised.
  2. Add in the three mushrooms and saute till mushrooms give out their earthy juices.
  3. Add in chicken broth and milk and let simmer.
  4. Be generous as you sprinkle in the parmesan cheese and mix well. The cheese will lend some natural salt to the soup as well as flavour.
  5. After simmering for approximately half 20 minutes, scoop out 3/4 of the mushrooms.
  6. Pulse the mushrooms till coarse in ablender. Caution not to blend them too fine lest they lose their bite.
  7. Re-add the mushrooms into the soup and stir well.
  8. Add a dash of pepper and a pinch of oregano for seasoning.
  9. Dissolve flour in some water and add the mixture into soup while stirring the soup gently.
  10. Simmer the soup till it thickens to preferred consistency and it'll be ready to serve.

*** For a more creamy soup, you can substitute the low fat milk with whipping cream.

*** Instead of parmesan, you can substitute with cheddar for creaminess.

*** If you're a big time fan of mushrooms, you can add in other mushrooms such as shiitake as it really lends a richer taste to the soup. If you have an experimental streak, you can also try adding some eringi.

My experimental Tri-shroom Soup was a surprising success as all my gambles paid off. Being the worry wart, I'd fretted that the soup would not thicken or would actually taste weird with the substitution of low fat milk for whipping cream. I'd also switched Cheddar for Parmesan as I did not have the former. The baby portobello contributed a hearty taste to the soup with its meaty flavour while the buttons and swiss browns provided the bite and mellowed the soup's flavour with their delicate taste. Next time round, I'd like to add some shiitake for more oomph but not too much because it'll overpower the soup.

Do share with me if you've made any mushroom soups or have any suggestions for improvements. Would love to hear from anyone. Cheers!

Bopping to: Sleep All Day (Jason Mraz)

No comments: