Monday 6 July 2009

Cabbage Rice and Nori Omelette

I love grocery shopping. But having plenty of groceries at home only means that food will go to waste if I do not utilise them. Sensibility told me to put my stocks to good use. My cabbage will be wilting soon if I do not finish them up. Uhm, cabbage is normally a hardy veg but because fridge is still in ICU.. my veges have to be finished fast.

Since I'm partially vegetarian now, I decided to fix something meatless for tomorrow's bento. At the same time also, kau-tim my dinner. With whatever I had at home, a simple and healthy vegetarian cabbage rice came into mind.

I also had plenty of eggs left which I did not wish to waste. Therefore I attempted to make Nori Omelette, whose recipe happened to be conjured purely out of my imagination. haha. I was expecting the worse but hey, the omelette managed to turn out fine. I like the whiff of seaweed smell that comes with it. If you're adventurous, do give it a go :)


Cabbage Rice

  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 slices of ginger
  • Dried mushroom (soaked)
  • Cabbage
  • Rice
  • Oil
  • Sesame oil
  • Soy sauce
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Dash of pepper
  1. Heat up minimum oil in wok. Add a dash of sesame oil.
  2. Saute garlic and ginger till fragrant, then add in mushroom and stir fry for a while.
  3. Add stir fries into rice cooker which is filled with the uncooked rice.
  4. Add in the liquid reserved from soaking the mushrooms into the rice. Top up with sufficient water to cook rice.
  5. Season with dark soy sauce for colour, dash of pepper and soy sauce for taste. Add more sesame oil if you like. Stir well.
  6. Arrange cabbage on top of rice and proceed to cook rice as per norm.
  7. For non-vegetarians, you may add some waxed sausages into rice to cook once the liquid appears dry.
  8. Once cooked, serve with some fried shallots and garnish with spring onions.

Nori Omelette

  • 2 eggs
  • Fish sauce and white pepper to taste
  • A slice of nori
  1. Break 2 eggs into a bowl and season with some fish sauce and white pepper.
  2. Tear up some nori into desired size. I tored mine up into a child's palm-sized pieces.
  3. Fire up your wok.
  4. Pour in half of the egg mixture.
  5. Scatter nori on top.
  6. Cover with the remaining egg mixture.
  7. Brown well and flip the omelette.
  8. Serve hot.

Note: Delicious with some Lingam's chilli for dip.

This is what I call killing 2 meals with 1 rice-cooker. Dinner settled. Tomorrow's lunch also settled :)

Hope everyone had a nice dinner.

3 comments:

Webby said...

WOW!!! that looks AWESOME!!!! When will you make that again?? I hope after Aug... Lap you!

spunkz said...

the rice can make anytime. i was experimenting first. at least it's not that horrible for u to be my guinea pig everytime. :)

Neal Bertrand said...

You like cabbage? You and your friends may be interested to know you can cook cabbage casseroles in a rice cooker, as well as many other one-pot meals. You can get "Rice Cooker Meals: Fast Home Cooking for Busy People" at a discount by going to http://www.RiceCookerMeals.com/shop/ which is my Amazon store, and you can also get a rice cooker there, too. You will see the book and a video I made about all the meals you can cook in a simple rice cooker.