Thursday 30 April 2009

Raspberry jam, I made.. Kerabu, I ventured~


spunkz dinner of berry-berries & pancakes with spunk-made waspbewwie (oops!) raspberry jam XD

 


Buu's brekkie bento that became dinner.

(Rice, kerabu, onion omelette, raspberries & strawberies)

 

spunkz is eagerly awaiting to ferry her fridge home tonight.. or tomorrow night! Credits to Buu who sourced it from a forum. Thanks so much!

As seen in the picture, I made some raspberry jam. That jam was divine and I love the scent. The process of making it was a breeze and I've finally conquered my fear of making jams. Never knew home-made jams would taste so different from those off the racks. Lucky me bought some huge strawberries and some raspberries at a steal a few days ago, each priced at RM 8/box. Decided to make the jam as I feared the raspberries would not last long in my fridge-less home.

Here are the steps. First, tumble the berries into a saucepan. I used my non-stick pan. Heat and stir berries around. I squished some in the process and left some intact as I like to taste the flesh in my jam. When berries are half dissolved, add in sugar and continue stirring. From the recipes which I sourced, most stated 1 cup of berries to 1 cup of sugar. I didn't measure mine, and added the sugar to taste as I'm not very partial to sweet stuff. Recipes also call for lemon juice (1 tablespoon) which I omitted because I felt my berries were tart enough. Stir till you see the liquid thickening. Coat the back of a spoon with the liquid. If it sets at room temperature, it means we're done. Take pan off the hob and let cool. Sterilise a jar and fill in the jam only when it has cooled down completely. Note that this jam has seeds in it because I like the bite. If it bothers you, just sieve the mixture halfway through cooking before it thickens too much.

spunkz mama gave spunkz some unripe mangoes when she went home last weekend. Hence, spunkz made kerabu out of it with the restaurant Daddy Village's powderful kerabu in mind. Unfortunately, bunga kantan and red apple was missing. Nevertheless, it was a good attempt! Innit I added 1 thinly sliced onion, 1 shredded unripe mango, sliced green apple, sliced strawberries, some sliced Thai cili padi, fried ikan bilis (anchovies), toasted cuttlefish, toasted sesame seeds, coriander, nampla (fish sauce), lime juice and sugar. Pheww... that was a mouthful!

Notes to self: Cut the mango shreds coarser for more bite or add more mangoes. Add more cuttlefish also. (Thanks to Sister Long Legs for the suggestions! Appreciate the feedback!)

Fuh... who knew racking the brains to remember that long list of ingredients can be this tiring. lolx. But then again, it's worth it coz I love my food and I'll bet they love me too!

No comments: