Saturday 8 November 2008

Ipoh Ngah Choi Kai

What's a trip to Ipoh without a taste of it's acclaimed Ngah Choi Kai (beansprouts and chicken) and Sar Hor Fun (flat rice noodles)?

This time round, I had the opportunity to savour this dish from a shop at Cowan Street. Locals claimed that this shop beats Ong Kee and Lou Wong hands down.

The shop is relatively easy to locate with its shop name emblazoned in green over a white signboard, "Restoran Cowan Street Ayam Tauge & Koitiau".

To eat it is not exactly easy either. The proprietors only open the shop whenever they want to, meaning you need to be seriously lucky to catch 'em in action.

For the first 2 nights during our stay, it remained closed. On the 3rd night, Colleague gave a yelp when she drove past the street and exclaimed "We're having our dinner there tonight!"


Having tasted Ong Kee's fare the last time I visited Ipoh, I found Cowan Street's preparation of this delicacy delightful.

I absolutely enjoyed the silken strands of noodles here compared to Ong Kee's. There was no rice flour smell evident as compared to the former. Broth wise, it is a bit sweet for my liking. But perhaps it is one of the thing that makes this shop stands out from others.


You can't find any beansprouts fatter and juicier than Ipoh (just a personal opinion, lol).


The chicken was succulent and tender to the bite. I have no complaints. Colleague said it tasted more tender than the 2 more popular shops. Well, I can't make any judgement as I haven't tasted Lou Wong's before and just tasted Onn Kee's once.

All in all, I certainly wasn't disappointed with Cowan's as it does live up to its name. Hope to get more chances to visit this old town so I can taste more of its food!

No comments: