Sunday 5 October 2008

When boredom looms, I cook!

This has got to be the most unproductive holiday for me ever. Oh heck. Blame meself for not making any effort to make it productive.

Let's begin with Thursday. I moped for the entire day after accompanying Buu to the bus station. (You'd think that I should have got acquainted with the fact that Buu's always jet-setting off anytime with last minute notices.. well, yeah I am... but those pangs of longings still overwhelm me each time he steps out of my comfort perimeter). Besides doing some timely laundry, I joined couch potatoes worldwide in front of the idiot box. Now how productive is that?? (>_<) #$@

Thank goodness my future housemate aka Cuzy Joon was nice enough to spare me some time for dinner after work. Pheww.. he certainly added value to my day. *laughs* Not to forget the comforting phone call that I made to Mum which we had to end when she practically screamed at me..

"Woi!!! 27 minutes already lar!! save the $$ for the next phone call!! talk so long... the next time you call me.. what.. will be like next month la cuz u outta credit hor?"

Mothers. Don't I adore mine?

I was very determined to make up for the squandered time. Hence on Friday, off to the market I scuttle in the early morn. I also drove to the 100 yen shop after the marketing trip. Got quite a number of knick-knacks for a new project that I hope to immerse in. Indeed I was a happy girl for the whole day.. grinning like a fool for the amount of groceries I purchased. More laundry was done again. Dinner was a jolly affair even though though I dined alone. I guess cooking does bring out the happy vibes in me. And silly me started being a tuber again in front of my bestie, but this time, a very contented spud. :)

Lalala.. with a full fridge, I reckon I'd start off Saturday on a cheery tone. Thus I twirled into the kitchen and started messing around. Would you like to look at what I churned out?

Grilled Bacon wrapped Asparagus + Enoki & Grilled Okra (Tempura Sauce Dip)

I had no idea that okra or ladies' finger would actually taste splendid being grilled. The tempura sauce was just something optional I decided to make as I'd boiled a potful of dashi to freeze. They're sweet as a dip for the okra. Both the rolls and okra were popped into the toaster oven for about 15-20 minutes and they're good to pop into ye mouth. Do give it a test~ (^-^)

I've always preferred the noodle family to the rice family, which makes me quite partial to glass noodles. Hence, here's a recipe for the dinner I made on Friday night using that:

Stir Fried Tang Hoon/ Glass Noodles

Ingredients

  • Onions (sliced)
  • Garlic (minced)
  • Carrots (julienned)
  • Prawns
  • Ham (julienned)
  • Spring onion (1 inch lengthwise)
  • Leeks (1 inch lengthwise)
  • 1 egg
  • Glass noodles
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • Oyster sauce to taste
  • Pepper to taste

It's a simple recipe actually.

  1. Heat up some oil in a wok.
  2. Saute onions and garlic till fragrant.
  3. Throw in the lot of carrots, leeks, prawns, and ham. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Scrape the ingredients to a side of the wok, and beat in the egg. Scramble it up. Add more oil if necessary.
  5. When eggs are semi-cooked, add in the glass noodles and stir fry everything on high heat.
  6. Season with soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce and pepper.
  7. Add in the spring onion just before dishing out, mix em well and it's ready to be served.

Stir Fried Glass Noodles

Cooking is up to one's creativity. Feel free to alter or mix and match anything you like for this dish. (Pssst... Charsiew and Chinese sausages would be lovely with it!). By the way, I've not given the exact measurements for the ingredients because I went by the agak-agak way. There's a saying that cooking measurements does not have to be exact, but baking is the opposite. Trial and error, so don't be afraid to fail. It's how we learn! (^o^)

Talk about baking, please check out Cass's website if you'd like to order cakes for any occasion! Arigato~

2 comments:

mil0chel said...

jie jie ..

apa maksud juliened ?

btw, u have to teach me how to make tempura sauce.. my kitchen skills are lik close to zilch compared to my kaiten skills..

spunkz said...

julienned-cut into strips

i oso forgot our workplace recipe ady. i just sourced from the internet and modify to suit my taste. :) rusty dy, need to sharpen up! hee.