Sunday 7 October 2007

Blessed

I just got back from hometown one hour ago. Had an interesting time lugging all my stowaways from home. One plastic bag broke before I reached the elevator. The one my beloved mama said:"Don't worry, this bag will not break!" while shaking the bag in my face. Okay, I exaggerated. It was further off. =)

I feel extremely blessed because of the love I received from each and every one of my immediate family members, cousins, granny and others. My mum surprised me with a new phone which I know didn't come cheap, though I'd never asked her for one. I feel really guilty to have made her spend her hard-earned money.

All these while, my mum had to scrimp and save to make ends meet for the family. She's the breadwinner of the family, keeping everyone snug, making sure no stomachs go hungry. Hardly a penny of her hard-earned money did she splurge on herself. I feel even worse when it comes to occasions when she could really use a new garment. She'd look a little sad because she only has her old clothes to turn to while everyone would grace the event with new clothes. Often, she had no qualms using the extra money to buy the little things that caught me and my sister's eyes, and not the deserving piece of blouse or dress that she should have. She is that generous.

Life has not been kind to her, putting her through various tests and obstacles which she gamely tackled. However, not once did she bow down to the immense pressure from the seemingly impossibilities of surviving the harrowing obstacles. Her steely determination to get us all through is a source of inspiration. An inspiration of the love a mother harbours for her children and wanting the best for them.

Which daughter would not pain at the sight of her almost skeletal frame, a result of being constantly working on her feet whole day long. My mum jumps at every opportunity to work on a public holiday, something most people would have shunned at because it was one of those rare opportunities for rest. Public hols to her meant extra income for the family. Though meagre, every penny counts.

Not too long ago, she had iron-deficiency anaemia.. something i suspected was due to her overworked and under-nourished condition. Thankfully, she had since got her platelet count normal again, and I hope she would be able to maintain that. She is someone with the strongest will I'd ever known, and I'm really proud of her. No matter how many lifetimes I'd have to go through, I would like to remain as my mummy's girl, once and always.

Before leaving for hometown, cuzzie Joon and me hopped off to IKEA to get cuzzie Ling some furnitures she'd asked for. Cuzzie Joon got me 2 tall glasses for beverage over there. I was delighted and touched by the gift. He had just started work and it was his way of expressing his cousinly love for the little one here. We'd grown out of our bickering phase and are on more "diplomatic" terms now. hehe. I miss the days when we were staying together again. Still, i know there'll be greater days for us to come.

Back in hometown, granny dearest whipped up a scrumptious spread to welcome every one of her grandchildren who hardly gets to taste her cooking now. Even though the dishes are not what you would get out of a restaurant, we lapped up every morsel with relish because nothing tastes better than homecooked food. She's the awesomest granny ever, 90 years old and still able to beat us youngsters hands down when putting a thread through the needle hole.

Cuzzie Pretty Ann is also another woman of substance despite of her lack of general knowledge. Haha. Her willowy slender figure will have you wondering if she'll crumble at the slightest prodding and pressure. Way wrong, man. She's a hardy lass who works her butt off to get to her position today, none depending on her fluff. She had had more than her fair share of relationship woes, albeit none deserving at all. I hope a good man will come and sweep her off her feet soon, seeing her diligent efforts to go on dates now.

From little, she's always barked at me and still does. She never fails to stuff a few bills in my pockets whenever I get off from her car each time we come back from hometown. I've given up refusing because she's really scary when I do that and looks like she's gonna bite my head off. She'd later add: "Take the money! Next time if I can't get a husband, I may need all of you to support me when I'm old." Hurhur. Righto, you're too beautiful to be missed by a blind man. And I hope he's a good un too. :)

How can I missed out cuzzie Ling here. She's the modern power mummy with a business to run and 3 monstrous kids to care for. Loves cute stationeries and is very generous. Always showering my sisters and me with little gifts. This trip back, she passed 3 of her lovely dresses to me. I'm grateful because this means I can have new clothes without spending any money again.

Last but not least of course are my sisters. They always help me out in so many things amidst protests and grumbles. The atmosphere at home would not be twice as fun without them at all. It's normal for laughters ring aloud in the middle of the night as we exchange jokes and run for cover after a certain someone's fart symphony goes off. And it's already normal for us to get complaints from the grouchy next door neighbour the following day for the noise we made. Hehe. Old man, get used to it... blehh. I don't complain when your cats always run into my house to give birth last time also. And when you so conveniently "take" our garden crops without asking. Period.

Yes... I am blessed. And touched with tears. For all the good everyone had done for me, I hope I can reciprocate back just as much or more... I love you all very much. :)

No comments: