Monday 15 September 2008

Malaysia, a shared motherland

As a child, I once asked my dad: "Why do you seem to love my sister more than me?"

I still remembered his answer till today, the very words that sliced through my heart.

"I struck lottery when she was born."

Little ripples like that can create waves of furor at sea.

As Malaysians, we'd like to think that we're undivided. We're harmoniously assimilated. We're living happily together under one roof. Regardless of creed and colour.
Reality wise, we're just scattered pieces of jigsaws, waiting to be pieced together.

It's impossible to skim over the sensitive issue of the 'r' word. It dates back centuries to yours and my grandparents alike. On the glamorous side, we boomed loud and clear to foreigners saying we are one. What an idiosyncratic bunch we are.

How do we stop hurtling stones at each other? It doesn't stop when one keeps booming of its superiority complex.

I used to hate my sister. I hate her for the TLC she gets without even trying. I hate her for getting all the perks that I had to live without. Just because I was thought of as a lesser human-being.

Tragedy does not come uninvited.

When my world deserted me, I could only retreat into my shell. Enforcing it with battle ammunition. Not because I want to. Because I feel unwanted.

I feel small, hence I retaliate. With words, with actions.
Isn't that what's happening now?

On a larger scale. It's not between me and my sister anymore. It's between the motherland's daughters and sons.

The only way to break this vicious cycle is to stop flaunting the superiority, and start assimilating.

Stop claiming ownership over the motherland. When all of us are stepping and building our future on the same land.


P/S: I love my sister now. :)

No comments: