Sunday 19 August 2007

... sea breeze smell and taste

"...the smell and taste from the sea breeze that permeate your senses... as though you're eating by the seaside..."

Japanese food. I get nostalgic thinking about it. Missing the days when all my 3 meals comprised of this ancient old cuisine. I believe Japanese food do contribute to better skin. I used to have really bad skin conditions, still do sometimes. After working in that Japanese fast food restaurant and taking most my meals there, my skin changed for the better. Did not realize it till family members and friends pointed it out.

Being the cynic, I made plenty of deductions. And slowly crossed them off my list. Working condition was out, since I was always alternating between the hot and stuffy kitchen and the icy cold restaurant. Having regular sleeping hours was out too, because I finished work usually around 11+. Sleeping time would most certainly be after 12. And hell have i got to go for class or work again in the early morn. Stress-free environment? You wish.. consider a day lucky if one does not get harried by the pesky customers or get yelled by that brute of a manager.

That pretty much leaves diet only. My sis was saying it could be the green tea. Sceptical. Because I hardly down much of the green liquid there. Used to drink the antioxidant-rich tea in bulk more before I worked there. Hence again, it boils down to the food. Plenty of fish and seafood, tofu, soybean paste soup (miso shiru), toasted nori.. most virtually oil-less unless you asked for the tempura or those agemono (e.g fried chicken nuggets, soft shell crabs) stuff.

Foods that I'm craving for now:
  1. Toasted nori (Yea, I could eat it plain. Or like Khan and Kasher taught me, make miniature hand rolls with it with whatever ingredients we could lay our hands on. Awesome combination with choo-choo-ber, tamago, tori karaage, ebi fry, ebi ten, kanikama or kanitama whichever rocks your boat, and a generous dollop of mayo. Chel loves the nori deep fried in batter or batter with breadcrumbs & dipped in the tempura sauce. It's a must have for me, if I work. Rich iodine source.)
  2. Agedashi tofu (Even though deep fried, the tofu has the lightest batter texture and hardly reeks of oil. Love the ginger and daikon gratings that accompanies the tempura sauce. Out of convenience, I skip the frying part and have the tofu cold. Oiishi~ So protein-licious)
  3. Salmon. (Raw and smoked. Love the smoky bits. It's easier for me to get hold of the raw ones though. It's my ritual to gobble down a few pieces of the freshly sliced raw salmon when Mak Yam the senior cook expertly cuts the newly arrived fish. Shoyu & wasabi dip makes it heavenly. Omega 3 & 6 saturated brain food.)
  4. Those seasoned seafood like jellyfish, scallops and baby octopus. (My chuka chinmi, chuka kurage and chuka sth i forgot. Oozes with succulence & crunchy to the bite. Packs healthy doses of zinc and magnesium.)
  5. Edamame. (the blanched beans in pods that everyone so love. It's filling, yummy & fun to eat. Protein rich source.)
  6. Gari. (lovely pickled ginger in blushing pink that tickles the tastebuds & clears the system. tangy and refreshing!)

spunkz stomach's been growling furiously ever since she was thinking about these out-of-reach foods, while typing this post and most possibly after this too. Apologies if this post ends too abruptly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jiejie... i LOVE TEMPURA NORI!!! and PANKO NORI!! garhhhh btw.. the last chuka is chuka idako... baby octopus.. :)

spunkz said...

lolx. i forgot abt that. but then that's your kaiten specialty. yea, i remember you love the tempura and panko nori too. hiakz. big news to update you, datuk k and aini got married few days after syikin & khan around 2 weeks ago. shocking???