Tuesday 25 September 2007

Lonesome Mid-Autumn

I have not laid my hands on a lantern for an immense long time. Mid-Autumn comes but once a year.. From young, I'd always taken for granted that every Chinky celebrates this fairylight festival. It was only after I descended my steps upon this roaring city that I found out that Mid-Autumn is a rather muted affair (judging by the amount of residences that I could scour for lanterns hanging in the front porch), save for the fierce competition among mooncake sellers for an opportune piece of the lucre.

This year's Mid-Autumn will be just me alone. From some of my friends, i got to know that the festival has no significant meaning for them. For many, it's just another mundane day. It's hard for me to acknowledge this fact because I was brought up celebrating this festival with my family, relatives and other kids around the neighbourhood with the usual family gatherings, lantern hanging or even a small barbecue if budget allows. It was just another perfect reason for everyone to gather together, and bonding just occurs naturally under an invisible cape hovering over everyone.

I won't be able to spend the day with even the person I've long considered family here tonight due to vehement considerations about my schedule tomorrow. Suddenly, morning classes appears to be a hateful hassle.. Forgive me, I'm just griping in a moment of pent-up frustration. Morning classes have been great so far, only for tomorrow.... the particular one day that made me so torn between enjoyment, love and duty.

All these stirred up that old reclusive feeling residing inside some hidden nook in that battered heart. Though I've been invited by friends to a mini poolside celebration, I've pretty much made up my mind not to go. Somehow, it just doesn't feel the same without family around.

The hollow void echoes silently...


I want to play lanterns with you. *sad*

No comments: